Simplicity

I am not the type of person who will make a new years resolution and then forget about it by the time February 1 rolls around. When I make a resolution, I stick to it. For example, the time that I resolved to run a marathon, I ended up not only running one, but two that year. Last year, we resolved to get more sleep.... by the end of January, Joel was sleeping through the night and taking two naps a day (arguably one of my greatest accomplishments as a mother to date).

This year, our resolutions are a bit more long sighted... let me explain. I am a consumer. I LOVE to spend money. I love new clothes, new shoes, new gadgets, new everything. They (temporarily) make me very happy... I am smiling just thinking about them.

But if there is anything to be learned from the financial mess that our nation is currently in, it is this: we need to spend less, save more, and be happy with what we have. Consumerism is making us sick, financially, spiritually, and environmentally. I cringe when I think of the waste of resources and money that just I myself have caused during my short life on this earth.

So from this year forward, I resolve to live more simply, to save, to be happy with what I have, to start buying things second hand, and to reduce my footprint on this earth.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good luck K! Maybe some of your resolve will rub off on me :D
Melissa said…
What a great goal, Katie! I love your posts, you have great insight and of course I love your jokes, too, it's so you. I love that you make your own pasta, maybe I should get a pasta maker. Hope you're doing well!
Anonymous said…
That is our New Year's resolution also!!! We started up the Quicken again and are keeping track of our finances this year...so that I don't have to worry about not working! It is always good to consume less, and thus waste less also!

Popular posts from this blog

All Dogs Go to Heaven

Backyard Projects